Far West Music
  • Just in case you missed it over in the Inspirography! thread, here's the opening music from the soundtrack to THREE KINGDOMS, which was specifically composed to reference Ennio Morricone's Spaghetti Western themes:

The soundtrack is available as an import via Amazon Marketplace, although it's currently listed as out of stock.
  • Great movie! Got stuck up to my eyballs in snow, here in Billings, MT. It was a thrill. Struck my sappy side too. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • rexroad33rexroad33 +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    I can let the music speak for itself.

Plus: TheRedRanger

• Wow. Another great discovery. Thanks for that, Jesse!

I love the fact that you guys are introducing me to stuff I haven't heard -- and I've been assembling mood music for this project for like 5 years now!
  • Love how that last one starts out like Barry White should be telling an updated version of Cat Ballou or something. :)
  • Wow, these are all great suggestions that I'll be adding to my gaming playlist post haste. I think that background music can be a great tool for getting everyone in the right mindset. Glad you all agree!

When running another currently published weird west RPG setting that shall remain unnamed, my playlist has a lot of:
    - Ennio Morricone
    - Zamphir
    - Oh Brother Were Art Thou soundtrack
    - Kill Bill soundtracks. When something really bad is about to happen I like to play Quincy Jones - Ironsides. Maybe a little too 70s-ish for Far West, but my players seem to like it.

Keep the good ideas coming!
  • GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Some more material from my FAR WEST playlist:

A little Chinese hip-hop from Jay Chou from the Jet Li movie Huo Yuan Jia (known as "Fearless" in the US).

A track from Robert Rodriguez' band, Chingon:

Lame video, but great track: Terranova's remix of Morricone's "For a Few Dollars More", from the album Morricone RMX:

My favorite Spaghetti Western theme song, ever (and yes, even more than the Morricone stuff):

And of course:

Plus: rexroad33

• I really have to pick up Morricone RMX some day.
  • A friend (Cactuscat) pointed out another soundtrack.

I should have remembered this one, as I've been playing the game.

• ehh... Mr. Holmes?

hmm... Bruce Wayne.

I can't exclude anything by Hans Zimmer. All of the tracks I have been listening to, can work at some point.
  • Simon_WSimon_W +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )

For a very light-hearted game:

Plus: Gau

• Ahhh...My Name is Nobody....love that movie. The theme song is fun.
  • All the Terence Hill & Bud Spencer movies are fun. The Trinity movies especially:

• MrSitouh said:

Rodrigo y Gabriela's acoustic heavy metal meets Spanish guitar style seems very Far West-y to me, especially for the Mariachis.

Rodrigo y Gabriela's album, 11:11, is $5.00 at Amazon MP3 this month: http://www.amazon.com/11/dp/B005SO5HNI/ref=br_lf_m_1000371251_2_35_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&pf_rd_p=1345166962&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000371251&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S8ASJ1V65BQ6ZKK9JMS

Thanks for introducing me to them, I picked it up.
  • Puppetfox +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    May I suggest some Ewan Dobson finger style.

• Rather than trying to track down all these artists on my own, I've started plugging the names into an online radio player (pandora or slacker). I plan to let the custom radio station play during games. I used to do it with Deadlands, but now I'm adding some eastern music to the mix.
  • Also, Ewan Dobson is fantastic. I play just enough fingerstyle guitar to sound bad. I've listened to him for hours instead of practicing. His outfits and videos on youtube are hilarious. So much going on, but the music is great.
    Hey Joe, what do you know?

Plus: GWilson

What does it take to be lonesome?

Damn, I am jealous. Almost two months after my surgery, and I don't even know if I can get my voice anywhere back to this. Oh yeah, sorry. Yes I can hear this for some part of the mashup. Not quite Steampunk, nor quite Western.

• CoalhadaCoalhada +1 -1 (+4 / -0 )
    Here's a little something on the pipa 琵琶, a four-stringed (sometimes five) plucked lute.
    During the Tang dynasty, the instrument was particularly popular at court, and many exquisitely decorated instruments were created.

This is a well-known classical piece called "The Warlord Removes His Armour", a.k.a. "The Ambush".

And a crossover to match Far West's mashup aesthetic, a Philip Glass piece arranged for pipa and guitar.

Wow that pipa and guitar composition is amazing. And you're right: It's a perfect match.

Plus: Puppetfox

• Gau +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )
    Maybe a little heavier than most like, but I like this one.

(and yes...I discovered it from the recent Walking Dead episode)
  • Happy Valentine's Day y'all. Currently on my phone so I can find any vids, but I'm in the middle of "Tao: The Art of Taiko" and oh man these guys are awesome! Great music for Far West! It's not the same watching them online (Memaud isn't shaking ad the sick taiko drum beats aren't resonating in you) but there ought to be something on the web.

And lemme say one thing: classic rock on shamisen.
  • my Steampunk link just shared this one on Facebook a little while ago:

The video reminds me of my gaming days in Omaha. I'd rain some fury and hell down on my players every once in a while.
  • Wow, this one just pushed my playlist to 33 selections. I am diggin' it.

• "Iron" is just epic.
    Though I'd describe the visual style of the video as D&Dpunk instead of steampunk. :)
  • Let us not forget the classics.

• Some of these finds are fantastic...but I am having a problem: I can't find the name of a song or a band on some of these, making actually adding them to my library impossible. Any way around that?
  • Doc said:

Some of these finds are fantastic...but I am having a problem: I can't find the name of a song or a band on some of these, making actually adding them to my library impossible. Any way around that?

Which ones specifically, Doc? I can try to fill in the info for you, if I can.
    A few more tracks of interest:

The Penetrators doing a surf-rock-esque take on Morricone's "Guns Don't Argue", from the tribute album For a Few Guitars More (which is worth picking up):

The Last Shadow Puppets -- The Age of the Understatement. This is the title track of their (to date) only album, all of which has the same sort of vibe.

The Black Keys - "Howlin' For You." (The official music video was done as a Tarantino-esque trailer, which actually de-emphasizes the song. Worth checking out for amusement factor, but I picked this video which is just the song):

• GMSkarka said:

Doc said:

Some of these finds are fantastic...but I am having a problem: I can't find the name of a song or a band on some of these, making actually adding them to my library impossible. Any way around that?

Which ones specifically, Doc? I can try to fill in the info for you, if I can.

Most specifically, two of Rexroad's. The remix of a classic...and the steampunk one with the wonderful black and white video. The former would make excellent backdrop music, the latter is just a great song. (I've found lyrics are generally very distracting during a game, so I tend toward orchestral pieces, myself.). And, thanks for the attempted help, regardless of outcome!
  • Those are labeled -- along the top of the video image before it plays. (Or is that just a Mac thing? I'm seeing it)

The remix is "The Ecstasy of Gold" from Chill Loungers, and the steampunk black-and-white video is "Iron" by Woodkid.
  • Oh no Mr. Bill... too late to save the day.
  • The Penetrators? Surf-Rock, yeah okay I get it. For some reason, I hear a runaway train. Heroes dashing across the rooftop towards the engine. Hope they can make it before the train reaches the canyon. Them bastard bandits just blew up the bridge.
  • Oh Maiden's Tits, Xabulba's post just help me remember.

I had no idea he past-away. David Carradine 1936-2009

Where was that news update?
  • I appreciate the update Gareth. On my iPad, there is no listing of artist or musical piece, so I totally appreciate the information! And yay to Rexroad for the finds.
  • Doc said:

I appreciate the update Gareth. On my iPad, there is no listing of artist or musical piece, so I totally appreciate the information! And yay to Rexroad for the finds.

whut? Than... uh, your welcome. Happy to particpate. :)

• MrSitouh said:

Rodrigo y Gabriela's acoustic heavy metal meets Spanish guitar style seems very Far West-y to me, especially for the Mariachis.

I could totally see the two of them as the Heart and the Blade, personally.

That was pretty amazing. Thanks so much for the intro to that even though I have probably heard their music and just didn't realize. And never mind their names... simply amazing.
  • Another crossover: Japanese komoriuta (traditional lullabies) performed with western instruments.

Although it is Japanese rather than Chinese, the komoriuta genre is fruitful ground for more wistful or spooky moments.
    A personal favourite is Tsugaru no Komoriuta, mainly because the lyrics threaten the baby with "the Mongols will come to get you if you don't go to sleep". Top parenting. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find an online version of it.

Here's an instrumental komoriuta with a wild-west feel to it.

• CoalhadaCoalhada +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )
    My Far West playlist is now up to something ridiculous like 4 hours.
    Just click here, put it on shuffle, and off you go....

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL86973DC41FCF318E
    The Cog is Dead

Plus: jehosephat

The Heavy: "Short Change Hero"

Plus: jehosephat

• Weird. I was just listening to "How You Like Me Now?".
    I think I first heard "Short Change Hero" on the soundtrack for the movie Faster, which has some Far West-ish themes going on. Just switch the setting to the Dust Road instead of the open highways and put Dwayne Johnson on a fast horse instead of a fast car, and you're there. :)
  • Puppetfox +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    This amused me. Its also pretty good.

• Etti +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Pretty good music here ! At last, sounds to complete my collection for Firefly/Far West games.

I'm surprised nobody talked about another great cowboy game, Red Dead Redemption. You can find some fine pieces in it.

Also, being an irreductible Browncoat, I once stumbled across Abigail Washburn, who could fit perfectly in the mood.

Hope you'll enjoy ;)

Plus: GMSkarka

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!