Open Q&A Thread
  • Another Q for you!

So, you can walk or ride a horse or take a train across the regions. Or, I guess, air/zeppilin travel. But are there anything similar to desert bikes or mopeds?
  • GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Darq said:

With regards to legondary weapons. Will the game include guidelines for generating them? When (if at all) do you picture characters getting their hands on one? I assume our players are "special" people, but I don't know how rare you intend them to be. There are a lot of movies where everyone (who is anyone) is running around with one. Just finished watching "Storm Riders" for instance.

We provide a group of Legendary Weapons in the book. They are unique artifacts-- so there's not really a system for generating them, but we do provide guidelines for developing new ones, thoughts on how they should appear in your games, etc. Generally speaking, that sort of stuff will be in the hands of people who are very powerful (Master or Legend rank) -- which is the case in "Storm Riders."

kairam said:

How an item becomes legendary? because people tell legends about it? because a great craftsman made it? because it was used during a quest in an important scene?

All of the above, really. Essentially, a Legendary Weapon is almost a character itself. It has famous exploits, a special lineage, tales of adventure, etc.

Plus: The1WiTheGun

• GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    Yuutousei said:

are there anything similar to desert bikes or mopeds?

Not mass-produced, no -- but such things have been produced by inventors using 'cog science' (the steampunk tech).

• I apologize if I missed it, but are there any plans for "iconic" or template characters for people to use as examples? Something to help new players see what a finished character should look like.
  • How populated is the setting with iconic NPCs, if at all? I assume the PCs can make a difference without running into "Elminster"? ;)
  • TSLuikartTSLuikart +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Well in a sense, Legends of the Far West is a whole book full of "example" and "iconic" characters, but there will be other samples as well.

As to the "Elminster" effect - I suppose it could happen, but if it does, you guys will have only yourselves to blame.

To put that another way, you lot are going to have a big say in who becomes an "iconic" character over the next year... but more about that at GenCon!

(And yes, everybody not at GenCon will get to hear about it, too.)

Plus: rexroad33

• I mean that you're making an NPC that's a Mary Sue. ;)
  • TSLuikartTSLuikart +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    No, I tend to butcher my Mary Sues gruesomely. Hmmm, I wonder what that says about me? :)

I take it, Ben, you mean a "plot immune character capable of doing everything you can, but better?"

Plus: Yuutousei

• TSLuikart said:

I take it, Ben, you mean a "plot immune character capable of doing everything you can, but better?"

Maybe not plot immune, but iconic, nigh-untouchable people.

• untouchable?
  • Basically. Not that you can't do what you want with/to them. More that the world's populated by NPC bad-asses at every turn.

I do love that TS butchers Mary Sues gruesomely. LOL I wish somebody would officially do that to the Scarlet Empress...
  • I could have SWORN I sent this, but found it still sitting in my Drafts folder after logging in after ages and ages away from the forum. With apologies for the thread necromancy!

TSLuikart said:

Simagal said:

Do they eat with chop sticks or forks?

Both, by region. Wood is fairly precious in the Thousand Mesas and their cuisine doesn't lend itself to chop sticks.

At the risk of being overly pedantic, there is a simple solution to the lack of wood: iron chopsticks. If memory serves, these were a military invention in Ancient China when some overworked quartermaster ran the numbers on his abacus and concluded that two chopsticks per man per meal, three times a day, went through way too many trees... :-)

Cuisine that doesn't lend itself to chopsticks, on the other hand, is an excellent argument in favor of forks. As are steamed chunks of bamboo in mushroom sauce, 'cause there's no way you can elegantly pick up those huge bits with chopsticks! (I would think they'd have cut the bamboo into strips for easier handling, but nooooooo...not at the White Swan Hotel in Guanzhou, anyway.)

My own point of curiousity is the architecture--false-fronts and walled compounds promise to make an interesting mix. Any possibility of, say, an adobe tulou? (Those are the curiously fort-like villages used by one of the ethnic minorities in Fukian province.)

• GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )

My own point of curiousity is the architecture--false-fronts and walled compounds promise to make an interesting mix. Any possibility of, say, an adobe tulou? (Those are the curiously fort-like villages used by one of the ethnic minorities in Fukian province.)

Two words: Hell, and YES.

We've even got an illustration of one in the rulebook.

• What are toloun normally made of? Adobe is just another form of mud brick, adobe uses straw for reinforcement.
  • CoalhadaCoalhada +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    Earth walls, usually, though a decent number were bult from brick or stone when it was available.

Plus: Simagal, GMSkarka

• Thank you, earth walls sounds like the Chinese version of adobe. As a slight off topic, the French in Louisiana mixed mud and Spanish moss over lathe as plaster.
  • Brother_TuskBrother_Tusk +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )
    (reads GMSkarka's response, capers happily and does the Fist Pump of Wushi)

Simagal got it--no, tulou are not normally made of adobe, any more than one usually sees a saguaro cactus out the window of a traditional Chinese teahouse in a wuxia flick. I was deliberately adding a touch of 'Old West' in there, if maybe a bit too subtle in my choice.. (And Coalhada is dead on. Packed earth walls, if not brick or stone. Unfortunately, I have never gotten to see one of these things up close and must content myself with the occasional tourist photo or wiki article. Next trip to Fukian won't go any closer to Hakka territory, either...nuts.)

On the other hand, if you're going to build one of these in the middle of nowhere, adobe seems as logical a building material as any other...and I still wouldn't want to try tackling one from the outside. Hmmm. Tulou with gun decks. And steam-powered defenses. Heh heh heh.
  • Tulou? I guess I had it wrong all these years. I thought it was Tralou. I'd have to dig through storage for these sketches I have of a New Mexican Tulou.
  • Brother_TuskBrother_Tusk +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    rexroad33 said:

Tulou? I guess I had it wrong all these years. I thought it was Tralou. I'd have to dig through storage for these sketches I have of a New Mexican Tulou.

'Tisn't as though there's a zillion dialects of Chinese, so your romanization will vary. :-) Tulou is probably the Mandarin version. Can't speak for Cantonese or Fukinese, so they might use tralou.

• The native language of the translator will influence the romanization.
    I am thinking of a variation of Bent's Fort now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!