Inspirography!
  • Ni Hao, pardners.

Yeah, I'm reportin' in from the dusty Nevada roads. New audiobook to share. Texas Showdown by Elmer Kelton. 6 outta 5 bullets. You "Ace on the Line" gunfighters should get that pretty clearly.

Stay Safe.
    Jesse

update: Dang cross draw holster took me by surprise. I read the summary on the back, but it didn't connect. There are two stories being told in this six disc set. Both have makings for aome great plot lines and character hooks.
  • Hello,
    New audiobook to report in with. Duel at Low Hawk by Charles G West.4 out of 5.
    Laters,
    Jess
  • Another audiobook to add on the pile. Finished Dead or Alive: Devil's Due by Ralph Cotton. 4 % 5 Bullets. The first book, Hangman's Choice, was equally good. I guess outlaw cowboys can take thier golf game seriously too. Anyway, I will be on the hunt down for book three, Blood Money.

Unlike what I do, many of these suggestions can be found as digital downloads. I can go on for days about my snipe hunting at travel stops, but maybe I will save it for the social gatherings.

Stay Safe
  • For the little I've seen it's one of the best EVER!
    Detective Dee:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1123373/
  • Just finished watching MILITANT EAGLE. 4%5 bullets. It had very few rough spots, which surprised me. I went looking for a youtube link, and discovered it was like 30 minutes long. The video link was easy to find. As for the actual DVD, I managed to snag it up from a bargain bin at a Flying J truck stop. It is in a 4 movie collection. I will be saving those other movies for another time.
  • rexroad33rexroad33 +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    This one is an old favorite (1985). The clip is the opening part of the movie. Not a trailer. It is almost exactly like the version I remember seening. I don't know the new version that has Alison Lohman, Shia LaBeouf, Patrick Stewart, and Uma Thurman. The bird mounts and the character are wearing gas masks. Very vital to the story.

There are many elements I see that could be useful. When learning of Thunderbirds in the FAR WEST, this was one of the clips I recalled. And also the use of Chocobos from Final Fantasy.

• Maybe it's because of that time I was kicked in the head by head by a mule , but this seems like an adventure that could take place in the Far West.

I particularly like the use of Navi as that annoying kid who gloms onto the protagonist as soon as he shows up in town.
  • Back on the kick of my audiobooks. www.graphicaudio.net I keep forgetting to talk about the Destroyer series.

http://www.graphicaudio.net/c-9-destroyer.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Destroyer_(fiction)

The movie was good at the time, but I am loving the audiobooks because there is so much more to the story and action. I had to go back to it for descriptor references. 5 out of 5 bullets on the books. 3 out 5 on the movie. Yeah, the setting might not fit, but the martial arts is aces.

• | The movie was good at the time, but I am loving the audiobooks because there is so much more to the story
    | and action. I had to go back to it for descriptor references. 5 out of 5 bullets on the books. 3 out 5 on the
    | movie. Yeah, the setting might not fit, but the martial arts is aces.

I liked the first ten or so books in the series, but quit reading when he kept getting further and further from the originals. Plus some of the "gags" started to get old. Unfortunately the author fell into the same trap so many other authors do when writing an open-ended series.

• That's the word for it. "Gags" Maybe they do get old. 10 books? I'd swear I just listened to #120. Maybe it was #102. So you don't know about Remo becoming a Master himself? I couldn't find my collection in order. Most of the details are hazy.

Basically I listen to a lot of books. The nature of my day job helped in how I find my books in the first place. Sure, the internet makes it easy to find and order them. For 5 years or more, I play this Easter egg game with books. I look for them in truckstops mostly.

I use the hells out of my Ebay, and Amazon accounts. Kindle does not do me a bit of good while I drive, and streaming audio gets expensive.
  • Speaking of more audiobooks, just finished with Great American Westerns 2. Also produced in the fine fashion of a full cast, digital effects, and cinematic music.

Aw heck, for a collection of short stories, it was pretty good in Graphic Audio format. Leaves me to wonder how Tales of the Far West would sound im similar format.

...wait, did I suggest that before? I can admit, watching is a slight better than listening.
  • rexroad33 said:

That's the word for it. "Gags" Maybe they do get old. 10 books? I'd swear I just listened to #120. Maybe it was #102. So you don't know about Remo becoming a Master himself? I couldn't find my collection in order. Most of the details are hazy.

Basically I listen to a lot of books. The nature of my day job helped in how I find my books in the first place. Sure, the internet makes it easy to find and order them. For 5 years or more, I play this Easter egg game with books. I look for them in truckstops mostly.

I use the hells out of my Ebay, and Amazon accounts. Kindle does not do me a bit of good while I drive, and streaming audio gets expensive.

I read the books when they were first released, along with the Mack Bolan series, so I don't remember all the details very well myself. I thought Chiun (sp?) considered Remo a master after defeating Nuich. As far as going over 100 books in the series I am glad I quit a long time ago. There wasn't enough new material in the books other than the digressions, which I didn't like. Some of the martial arts and philosophy was what attracted me in the beginning, but the "wackiness", such as the UN on a cruise boat, drove me away.

• I haven't listened or read all of them. Still looking. I got started with the movie. As strange as the series is, there are elements that could be used in Far West.

One of these days I will find book#1. Speaking of Mack Bolan, The Executioner and Stoney Man series are also available in Graphic Audio Audio Books.

I listened to a lot of Westerns, which I seeded some ideas about earlier. It's a small part for the Far West. Maybe not so much the Spaghetti or Wuxia parts, but a whole lot of Frontier. Mountain Men, Gamblers, Miners and Ranchers. I like listening, and then figure out what kind of characters I can make them out to be in Far West.

The Great Amercan Westerns 1 and 2 have a lot of good short stories. They have some great elements that make a smooth fit. A couple had bad men doing good things. Well, I won't spoil those. Hopefully readers will find them and enjoy them as I do. These audiobooks don't have a book counterpart. Most of these stories made magazine and digest appearances in early 20th century. Tracking them down individually would be a hefty challenge. Glad somebody else did that.
  • The first book is what got me hooked on the series. The following books in the series just added to my enjoyment of the series. Then something happened, whether it was deadlines or burnout I don't know, and the series wandered way off the course set by the first books. I don't know if the series has returned to it's roots or not and have no desire to find out.
    A lot of the first books were dedicated to the training and mistakes made by Remo and could be used in a setting were the players were learning martial arts.
    The Frantics!

Here is a the martial arts East West Karate Team doing a rather fun remake of the skit.

...and now, the shorter version. :)

Plus: jehosephat

• Range War! Ol' Frank Morgan is in the middle of it. Check out The Last Gunfighter 23 Montana Gundown by William W. Johnstone. I just finished 2nd CD of the audiobook, graphicaidio.net that is. Who is Brady Morgan?

(details) http://www.graphicaudio.net/p-1033-23-montana-gundown.aspx
  • Ni Hao, Pardners.

Back Again. This time I am getting an early jump on some new releases coming from http://graphicaudio.net since I thinks these titles are coming from good authors. This week, Texas Sunrise by Elmer Keaton. Next week, Sidewinders 6: Texas Bloodshed by William W. Johnstone.

(sample) http://www.graphicaudio.net/p-1029-texas-sunrise.aspx

(sample) http://www.graphicaudio.net/p-1037-6-texas-bloodshed.aspx

• October 19th!!!

• Not exactly "Far West" with the Mexican influence, but a friend o' mine made this a while back n' I find it to be inspirational:

• GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    A few things:

The trailer for the forthcoming version of THE LONE RANGER:

The trailer for FLYING SWORDS OF DRAGON GATE, now available on DVD and BluRay:

The trailer for THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS, produced by Quentin Tarantino and written, directed and starring RZA (of the Wu Tang Clan -- a long-time kung fu movie afficianado):

Plus: SnakeOilSifu

• Am I the only one who was watching the Man with the Iron Fists trailer and got an update from AC News?
  • I got that too. But I forgot to mention it, as I've seen the full trailer a couple of times before.
  • GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    In other MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS NEWS --

http://www.ironfistsmusic.com/

The deal on the collector's set is really, really good. 5 CDs (soundtrack -- autographed by RZA, score, instrumental version of soundtrack, 2 discs of original soul/funk sample sources), limited vinyl pressing, bonus 7" vinyl, original poster and tour poster -- limited to 300 sets. For 85 bucks.

Hell, the non-autographed 5-cd-set plus original poster is only $35.

Plus, the site streams a bunch of the tracks. Worth checking out if you're a fan of FAR WEST, kung fu movies, the Wu-Tang Clan, really good hip-hop, etc.

If anybody wanted to make a certain game designer very happy, 85 bucks sent to Paypal earmarked for this use would be a great start. :)

Plus: jehosephat

• I'd love too, but I left my digital wallet in my other pants. :)
  • I'd love too, but I left my digital wallet in my other pants. :)

uhh yeah... the pair of pants meant to be dry cleaned. instead, it is was what caused the greater downtown area to have a black out. Man, you got check those pockets before dumping them in the washer.
  • rexroad33rexroad33 +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    I believe this should qualify. http://hungliu.com/ I am on vacation. Up here at Omaha, Ne for a few more days. Earlier today I had taken the family over to the old job site. http://www.joslyn.org/ It's been a long time, and it was nice to see my old boss.

While I was browsing around and looking at the newest exhibit, the next gallery over from it, I found this. I found an instant favorite. I did a little research and found I could get a copy of the lithograph for $3400.00 not including shipping. If you go to the artist's website, look at the other pieces. this one is from 2009. The one I seen at the museum was near as tall as I am. http://www.sharksink.com/printview.asp?printid=444&artists=31
    6 out of 5 bullets. By Maiden's Tits, the collection is damn awsome.

• Somehow, while I was laying about in a nice hotel at Liberal, KS early this morning, I wrote a poem. Very early early in the morning between aggrivating coughing fits. My wife is still trying to figure how I even came to the idea, while my wits were being crushed cough after cough.

As for the inspiration... an old movie is the cause. The poem is posted on the Sunflower Trail thread.

SLAP!
    SLAP, SLAP, SLAP!
  • Another possible inspiration (and again by default I apologize i fit was already mentioned and I overlooked it):

The Shadowless Sword

A South Korean production from 2005 set in mediaeval times that features flying swords(wo)men and mystical martial arts powers. For some reason half the characters look like Captain Sparrow :-)

http://de.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=The+Shadowless+Sword
  • Marcm02 +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    I´m not sure if this really counts as inspirography but here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=bhSTvOB--ZI&feature=endscreen

is a promo clip produced by a practicing teacher of Wudang Kung Fu. According to the YouTube caption the fight was done with no wires, no stuntmen and no camera tricks.

The website Wudang Dao that goes with it

http://www.wudangdao.com/

also contains some demo clips of various Wudang forms in the store section

Plus: GMSkarka

• YuutouseiYuutousei +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Less inspirography and more of a "I want this now", Ruby Red's Crescent Rose, which is such a cool weapon.

RWBY (
    ), pronounced "Ruby", is a new Rooster Teeth production made by the same guy behind Dead Fantasy. Not a lot of info yet, but I'm excited.

Plus: SnakeOilSifu

• GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )
    A single from a folk-rock band (Delta Rae), combining Antebellum spirituals and Chinese Opera masks:

• GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    When I posted that over on Google+, a commenter suggested this, which is brilliant.

A mix of bluegrass & Chinese folk. Abigail Washburne & The Sparrow Quartet: "Kangding Qingge"

• I'm not a Joe Abercrombie fan, but his new book "Red Country" is essentially a western set in the fantasy world of his previous novels.

Sounds like it could be worth a look.
    I debated with myself on where to put this post. I guess it have worked where I had in mind also, but here it is:

The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe
    A chinese immigrant with amazing Martial Arts fighting skills arrives in the American Old West and finds it full of injustice, especially for outsiders such as him. Starring: Chen Lee (1972) Rated R (for that day and age maybe)
    aka: My Name is Shanghai Joe

Sorry, it's in German, but I think it is a better version. The movie copy I physically have is in English.

I got this cool collector tin: Spaghetti Westerns. 20 classic features provided by www.millcreekent.com.

• CoalhadaCoalhada +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Burning Paradise, directed by Ringo Lam.

IIRC, while this film did pretty well in Hong Kong, the star Willie Chi's second film role was as Wong Fei Hong in Drunken Master III. It was so badly received that he gave up on a film career and moved back to Canada.

• Burning Paradise is one of my all-time favorites (and easily my favorite of Ringo Lam's work).
  • Somebody pointed this out to me -- the trailer for the sitting-on-a-shelf-for-years Wesley Snipes Weird Western, GALLOWWALKERS. Looks like the zombie western will finally be released. Given how long it's been sitting unreleased, though, I don't have high hopes for quality:

• I'll watch it, that trailer was silly. I can always hope for another pleasant surprise like the very cheesy Blade 2. Then again Hellboy made me a GDT fan.
  • While waiting on movies to release, I have some audiobooks to be considered.

Ni Hao, you fine clever folk.

Since there has been no demand for my attention, time, and resources, I have been dashing about all over New Mexico for the day job again. Wal-Mart groceries is a full-time effort. ehh... it is what it is.

Anyhoo, I've listened to a nice collection of Graphic Audio books. Sometime ago, starting in February, I was able to hear Blood Valley 4: Massacre Mountain (rates about 3 bullets), Blood Bond 16: A Hundred Ways to Kill (6 out of 5 bullets), Luke Jensen 1: The Bounty Hunter (4 bullets because he is another Jensen Brother), The Loner 11: Crossfire (4 bullets), and just recently Savage Texas (4 bullets, and I will be looking for the next book of that series). All of these Western fiction lines were written William W. Johnstone and J.A. Johnstone.

Looking at the current GA catalog, I think I counted 19 different series by these writers. I have most of them on hand. Cinematic Music ~ Full Cast ~ Digital Effects

Here is a sample link for Blood Bond 16: https://soundcloud.com/graphicaudio/blood-bond-16-a-hundred-ways

Young Matt Bodine and Sam Two Wolves. One is a rancher’s son. The other a Half Breed outcast. To kill one you’d have to kill them both. And that would take an army—and a whole lot of luck...

Heading west to San Diego some honest pilgrims paid ten men good money to keep their wagon train safe. Soon word comes to Tombstone, where Matt Bodine and Sam Two Wolves are wearing out their welcome gambling with Wyatt Earp. The wagon train’s guards turned against their charges and headed off to Mexico with six young pioneer girls captive. Everyone knows the tortures of the damned that await the girls in the hellholes south of the border. But only Matt and Sam will do something about it.

But it’s going to take more than their bravery and shooting skills to rescue those girls from the merciless white slavers. On the way to Mexico Matt and Sam ride into a war party of Apaches. They’ll be facing outlaws and furious Apaches at the same time. For two blood brothers, the idea is to rescue those girls and blast their way North to freedom—no matter how many bullets it takes, or how many guns are shooting back...

Enjoy. Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!
    Jess

www.graphicaudio.net

BTW, I think the Marvel Comics Civil War should be available sometime this month. http://www.graphicaudio.net/p-1107-civil-war-marvel.aspx
  • lithicbee +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )
    I saw this article on armored trains and thought it might be useful in the Far West setting. There was already the death trap train in the short story collection. Here's some more visuals for that train you need to hijack, or stop from terrorizing the countryside, or break out of, or steal the blueprints to... you get the idea.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2013/05/awesome-armoured-trains-and-rail.html
    Quite the tour. Thanks. Much bigger than the tank I used to drive.

Plus: lithicbee

• If you haven't seen the post on the main page yet, I've done an entry detailing a website and youtube channel where you can watch complete, fan-subtitled, recent wuxia TV series from Chinese TV.

Well worth your time. Really fun stuff.
    In the post, I also embedded, as an example, the first episode of "Strange Hero Yi Zhi Mei" -- a show about a Robin-Hood-esque masked bandit in Ming Dynasty China. I'll also stick it here for convenience:

• SnakeOilSifuSnakeOilSifu +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Checked out the first episode, definitely going to check out more! Thanks for the heads up!

• Gau +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    Thanks for the link! Great find there Mr Skarka!
    Follow the links in its description to WuxiaEdge for even more tv series.
  • Not really inspirography by any stretch of the imagination but today I came across a yahoo clip of a Russian guy who drives nails through a wooden plank - with his bare hands. Either he is convincing fraud or a dude with some serious focused Chi. Anyway, it seems like a handy skill (no pun intended) for Far West farmers and ranchers to have.

http://de.screen.yahoo.com/man-hammers-nails-bare-hands-104551395.html

P.S.: sorry for the 15 seconds ad clip, its yahoos fault...
    48 years ago today, the Wild Wild West premiered: One of my faves, and one of the inspirations of FAR WEST (especially the Twin Eagle Security Agency):

• I started reading a new book that looks like a perfect fit for the setting. The book is Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff and is a Japanes Steampunk novel. It includes such things as Iron Samurai (Samurai in steam powered armor) with chain katanas and blood lotus as a fuel rather than coal. It also include the requisite trains, steam cars, and dirigibles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!