Gareth Skarka hospitalized this week
  • Hello all -

I'm Laura, Gareth's wife. Those of you who follow Gareth on Facebook or Twitter may have already seen my posts about this, but Gareth asked me to post here and on the Kickstarter page as well.

Gareth is in the hospital this week. He started suffering from what he thought was a bad case of the flu last Thursday. When he hadn't improved at all by Saturday, I took him to the doctor, which turned out to be a good thing, as they diagnosed and sent him to the emergency room with a severe infection from diverticulitis. His exam at the hospital resulted in surgery on Sunday morning to remove the damaged section of his colon and clean out a large secondary infection. According to his surgeon, Gareth has probably been experiencing flare ups from this for quite some time (at least a year, possibly more) for it to have gotten this bad, and he's very lucky to have caught it before something burst.

The surgery went well, but as you can probably guess this means that he won't be working, on Far West or anything else, for at minimum the next two weeks, while he recovers at the hospital and then at home. I know that he wants to get back to work as soon as possible, but he's going to have to get past me and his doctors orders first.

Please keep him in your thoughts, and any well-wishes are much appreciated. I will update here when/if I have more news to share on his condition.

Best,
    Laura
  • Darq +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Get well soon Gareth!

Plus: The1WiTheGun

• Oh no! Sorry to hear, but also glad to hear you guys caught it before it became something worse. Happy the surgery went well, too! See you when you get better, Gareth!

Plus: Puppetfox

• Thank you Laura. I expect he will try to come back too soon, don't let him. Family always comes first.
  • Sad news, but I'm glad he's in recovery.
  • How is Gareth?
  • He's home as of Monday but with 6-8 weeks of recovery and a 2nd operation to go, per Laura's Facebook post.
  • So How is Gareth doing?
  • Health wise not sure, he seemed to be itching to work in a post on the 11 of April. Try his blog from time to time. http://gmskarka.com/ and you can also check in with twitter or the facebook page. (icons on the front page).
  • I'm heading into the hospital tomorrow morning for the final follow-up surgery. I should be in the hospital for 4-7 days, depending on how hit goes, and then I should be able to get back to work in May.
  • Glad to hear that.

We all hope teh follow-up will go well
  • Hope your recovery is going well!

On a side note I am moving again, should I send you a follow up on the KS page, or are you going to send out a follow up address confirmation once things are all said and done, like one backer suggested previously?
  • Send me a follow-up via Kickstarter. But I will also be sending out one last confirmation request before we ship.
  • RECOVERY UPDATE:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/Adamant/far-west-western-wuxia-mashup-adventure-game/posts/850087

A few of you have sent emails asking about my health, and so I figured that it was time for a general update, to let you know what's going on.

My final surgery was three weeks back, and it went well. My insides are now fully repaired!

I’ve been healing up since then — a slower process than I’d like, and complicated by a secondary infection that I picked up along the way (which we've now kicked).

But I’m good. I’m actually doing a bit of work here and there while recovering, and I expect to be fully back on my feet in June.

Thank you so much for the support -- it's been a real boost during my recovery. I cannot wait to get back on the horse and get moving again!

-Gareth-Michael Skarka
    Lawrence, KS
    20 May

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!