Other FAR WEST games or the games of the FAR WEST
  • Urbanmystic +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    One of my favorite RPG campaigns involved the integration of other games, particularly card games into the campaign. We had character poker nights (I still regret betting that wand....) Tarot based encounters, and various other card based 'mini-games' through out.

FAR WEST seems like the ideal backdrop for card and tile games. Have any particular games found their way into the background material?

What kind of games to you picture in the FAR WEST ? Poker? Mahjong? What kind of variations are played?

PS I'd love to see a set of playing cards with the FAR WEST style artwork, published with the rules for some slightly uncommon games like Faro or Chinese Poker.

Plus: The1WiTheGun

• OK, that's a great idea! A Mahjong game would be amazing.
  • GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+8 / -0 )
    Funny you should ask.

I've actually got a vignette coming (I back-burnered it so that I could concentrate on the RPG production) called "All Crows Are Black" (the title comes from a Chinese saying), whose main character is a gambler.

The game which is the focus of the vignette is called Four Color Cards, and is based on the Chinese game of the same name -- basically a game with cards that come in (you guessed it) four colors, and the goal is to make sets of matching suites, colors or special combinations.

We're actually considering releasing an actual Four Color Card game for sale, as well. But that would require some heavy art duties from Rick, so that obvious waits until well after the game is done. :)
  • Nice! I 've never played Four Color Card, It sounds interesting and I look forward to the vignette. Along the same vein have any particular methods of divination (cards/dice/tiles) been cropping up during development?

I have no doubt I will be developing some of my own once I have the book in hand ;)
  • GMSkarka said:

We're actually considering releasing an actual Four Color Card game for sale, as well. But that would require some heavy art duties from Rick, so that obvious waits until well after the game is done. :)

Yee!! This sounds quite excellent. :)
  • How similar is Four Color Cards to say... Uno? It sounds very similar .3.

Also, I could see characters playing Mao, but with even riskier stakes for getting things wrong.
  • @GMSkarka, I hit the wrong button. DANG! Now I am stuck making a comment. I think some space between the quote and kudos might be needed. Arg. I just wanted to kudo your post.

Hrmn, Four Color? If Rick does do something like that, sure, I will buy it. It would get locked away too. Just like my Mage Tarot Deck. Is Four Color different than the Mahjong Tiles Game?

@Yuutousei, what a great post. I was just thinking of the original Mahjong game. Not that puzzle knock off. Never heard of Mao. Where can I find that? I've made Mahjong tiles before. If you don't know how to handle the resin casts, you can botch the process really quick.
  • GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    rexroad33 said:

Is Four Color different than the Mahjong Tiles Game?

Slightly -- it was a street version / poor persons version, using cheap cardboard rather than tiles. Rules were never really codified, more of a word-of-mouth kinda thing, which leads to a lot of regional differences. But Four Color uses the Mahjong suites.

The FAR WEST version of Four Color will use a few original suites, and some original rules additions. I'll finish up "All Crows Are Black", and you'll see what I mean. :)

Plus: rexroad33

• BenBen +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    How cool will it be to actually resolve a game of skill and/or chance by actually playing it? :D

Plus: The1WiTheGun

• In my case I wouldn't want to shame my poor character by inflicting my mediocre gambling skills upon him. :)
  • In my case I wouldn't want to shame my poor character by inflicting my mediocre gambling skills upon him. :)

I can relate. I still haven't won a WSOP or WPT Championship. I try and I try. Oh well, I will keep playing at Pure Play and at Zynga Poker.

http://player.pureplay.com/player/registration/BasicMini.html

• Greatwyrm +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    I think every town has to have two grizzled old men, in front of the general store, playing Go.

Plus: Felyn

• rexroad33rexroad33 +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Greatwyrm said:

I think every town has to have two grizzled old men, in front of the general store, playing Go.

Yarp. That would be me and Scabby Joe.

ehh... stop?

Now. Go.

:P

Plus: Yuutousei

• YuutouseiYuutousei +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    I'm feeling like I should get my friends to teach me mahjong.

@Rexroad33 :::
    Mao is a card game played with multiple decks. Each game starts with a set of standard rules (which change from group to group, mattering on who's playing) with one constant - when you run out of cards you must say "Mao". Every time you break a rule, you are given one or three cards (again mattering on the group). The aim of the game is to get rid of all your cards the fastest, matching either suit or number on the card. The winner of the game then adds a new rule and the next round begins. So each winner adds a rule (or modify or take out a rule - their choice!) for the next round, and it builds.

I'm not sure how many decks are required to play. At least 2, maybe? 2 decks can fit three players, but we had to add one when someone else joined. "/

When I play with my friends, the standard rules are no talking across the table (unless the rule you're doing involves talking), slap down Spades, and of course, say "Mao". The last time I played, we ended up with rules like "for each queen, you need to give a female ruler from history", "diamonds require a pokemon name", "say a mythological figure that isn't a god for all face cards" and, the magnum opus - "recite a line from a Star Wars movie each time you place down a Heart".

It can get pretty crazy and heated and really amusing to watch. When I was a freshman, some upperclassmen played it as a drinking game - each time you make a penalty or put down an Ace, you had to drink a shot.
  • CoalhadaCoalhada +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    A writeup based on the real-life game huahui (花会 “flower club”), which was very popular in China in the early 20th century.

One traditional form of gambling is called House of Flowers. Because individual players’ stakes may range from one copper coin to hundreds of gold pieces, this numbers game appeals to rich and poor alike. It is particularly popular with women, who often burn incense or consult fortune tellers before betting.
    According to police reports, House of Flowers losses are a major cause of female suicide. The board of the game is visualized as doors to a house - some elaborate versions really are miniature houses with little cubbyholes behind the doors.

There are 36 doors in total, each with its own special name. Lots are drawn on these doors, with 72 identical sticks (numbered twice 1 through 36) cast on a diagram of the celestial spheres by the master of the game. Those sticks that come to lie on the central motif - the house of the Jade Emperor - are retained and cast again until only one number lands on the Emperor's house, that number being the wining one.

Any gambler may put in any sum of money in any currency in one of these doors. If, when the lots on these doors are drawn, the door counted is the one in which he put his money, he gets back 29 times the amount he put in. The organizers of the lottery (which is drawn once every morning and evening) pocket the remaining 7/36ths of the money wagered. In many places the House of Flowers is banned, but police are often paid off and the game's popularity remains unabated.
  • Color me quite interested in a deck or two, if and when. It'd make a fun prop, at the very least! And I can teach my Cub to play...
  • If my Rick Hershey portrait ended up being the art for a playing card I must admit I think I would carry a copy of it around with me in my pocket like The Joker. Why so serious? :D
  • dbolack +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    GMSkarka said:

I smell another Kickstart. :)

Plus: rexroad33

• We should probably brush up on our Mahjong skills.
  • Puppetfox said:

We should probably brush up on our Mahjong skills.

I just asked my friends to teach me next time they play, so long as it's not during my normal Pathfinder time.
  • 'Dry swimming' (aka playing mahjong) is really a delightful pastime, and also one of my favorite pieces of idiomatic language to boot.
  • I can't imagine a western without storytelling; everyone around a campfire, eating mush and keeping their minds off their hard life through tall tales.
  • Used to play this a lot when I was in highschool, amusingly got from playing in library because it wasn't a book.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Chinese-Chess

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!