CUBICLE SEVEN HEADS INTO THE FAR WEST!
  • GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    Here's the discussion thread for the big partnership announcement we just made.

If you haven't heard yet, click above and read. Short version: Cubicle 7 Entertainment will be publishing the tabletop games set in the FAR WEST universe, with me as the Line Developer. The core book for the RPG will ship this summer (first to Kickstarter backers, then to game stores worldwide). Adamant will continue to produce all other FAR WEST products (fiction, comics, web series, etc.).

As I said in the Kickstarter Update: So what does this mean for you? Aside from the book shipping to you from C7's warehouse with a C7 logo on it, not too much, to be honest -- but it does mean that TS and I are no longer working in a vacuum: we now have one of the top RPG publishers backing us up, committed to a robust release schedule once we get the core book out to you! And with me as the Line Developer, everything will still mesh together between the RPG releases and the other products.

Feel free to comment, or ask questions, below.
  • brumcg +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    Just curious...

" The core book for the RPG will ship this summer (first to Kickstarter backers, then to game stores worldwide)."

There's still a difference between the Kickstarter and retail versions, correct?

Plus: TheRedRanger

• Looking forward to this. I've been impressed with the quality of the Cubicle 7 stuff I've seen in the past. Plus from a purely selfish point of view, a UK-based publisher will make it easier to pick up any forthcoming expansions on this side of the pond. It's sometimes tricky and/or expensive to get hold of the less mainstream titles.
    brumcg said:

There's still a difference between the Kickstarter and retail versions, correct?

Actually no, aside from the fact that you'll get it earlier (and, of course, the bonus material from the stretch goals, like the short story anthology, the map, etc.). At this point (mostly due to the delays), it makes more sense to just release the game as-is, without further time to trim material for a "retail version."
  • GMSkarka said:

At this point (mostly due to the delays), it makes more sense to just release the game as-is, without further time to trim material for a "retail version."

How do the 8 retail backers feel about this?

"The PDF/Kindle/Ebook edition and 5 copies of the Limited Edition hardcover. For each additional $25 we'll send another copy of the hardcover. This pledge is the only way for retailers, libraries or distributors to get the Limited Edition, which WILL NOT otherwise be offered through distribution."

• brumcg said:

GMSkarka said:

At this point (mostly due to the delays), it makes more sense to just release the game as-is, without further time to trim material for a "retail version."

"The PDF/Kindle/Ebook edition and 5 copies of the Limited Edition hardcover. For each additional $25 we'll send another copy of the hardcover. This pledge is the only way for retailers, libraries or distributors to get the Limited Edition, which WILL NOT otherwise be offered through distribution."

Time for a "Limited Edition" alternative cover art version?
  • Awesome news.

The Cubicle 7 line-up of amazing games gets another worthy entry.
  • brumcg said:

We're actually doing something for them specifically to make up for it.
  • Time for a "Limited Edition" alternative cover art version?

At this point, doing a separate print run for an alternate cover would just cause more delay and logistical issues, so, no.
  • SnakeOilSifuSnakeOilSifu +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )
    At this point I just want to see the game come out, in the end I was never in it for the extras. Just the marriage of two genres I love dearly. Plus, more time for supplements! Woohoo!

I would like to make one small, small request. o.O Given the obvious interest in other threads here, and my own love of the weird. Someone ought to be considering a "Far Far West" supplement with a lot of different weird, supernatural, alternate rules options. Just saying, no worries either way.

I am still planning to create enough stuff to run a Wuxia West version of Big Trouble In Little China, because come on, Jack Burton and Wang Chi scream two dudes who could fit just as well in a Far West style setting, as they do in that movie.

... my excitement level has intensified again at this news!

Plus: The1WiTheGun

• Shervyn +1 -1 (+1 / -2 )
    I specifically wanted the limited edition kickstarter edition. Remember back when it was supposed to be a leather bound copy? Now it's not even special. I really feel betrayed. I can't believe that I am saying this, but for the first time in my 175 backed kickstarter projects I want to wash my hands of a project. I don't want my money back cause that's the risk one takes, but I will never ever support another project or product that Skarka is involved with, on kickstarter or anywhere else. You screwed the people who believed you from the beginning. That sucks. And the karma's gonna come back at you someday.
    With all due respect, Shervyn, we only mentioned leather as a possibility after the backing period was over -- specifically, in a video update on September 13th, 2011. It turned out that the leather option was not affordable.

As to the Limited Edition, though: Our original intent (as a very small outfit) was to put out a very limited full color run with all the trimmings, then do a B&W unlimited retail version. By going in with Cubicle 7, the whole run becomes color and has all the trimmings. We didn't think of it as anybody losing out on anything (especially given the backer-exclusives that only you are getting), but rather, everybody gaining.

I honestly didn't think that having it be Limited was that important to people, as you're still getting the extra content. Given that I appear to have misjudged, however, I am currently talking with Cubicle 7 about our options for doing a separate print run.

I will update as I have more information.
  • The1WiTheGunThe1WiTheGun +1 -1 (+0 / -1 )
    I'm all for retail folks getting a version just as cool as ours; (albeit later than expected) we're all getting what we paid for and to me, someone else being able to get the cool thing as well doesn't take away from the value I'm getting. Never been the kid to flaunt my toys off to the less fortunate kids; I'd rather we all play together and have fun.

The leatherbound version did sound very cool but I totally understand that it would jack up production costs that could otherwise be put towards more products/expansions/supplements such as SnakeOilSifu's supremely excellent "Far Far West" idea.

I'm excited about this partnership with Cubicle 7. Sounds as if it will mean more content, and more fun, for everyone.

Minus: Shingen

• From a comment that I made in the members-only Far West Society forum, which I thought was important to reiterate here:

I had a Skype call with Dominic (CEO of Cubicle 7) today (he kindly took time out of his weekend -- the 6-hour time difference meant that it was already 8pm on Friday night for him), and he confirmed that he'll be looking into budgeting options for doing a true Limited Edition run in addition to the general release.
  • Puppetfox +1 -1 (+2 / -0 )
    For what it's worth, as long as my copy is in colour, I am okay with everyone else getting access to the same. Just a suggestion but maybe have a slip case for the limited edition.
  • GMSkarkaGMSkarka +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )

I'm excited about this partnership with Cubicle 7. Sounds as if it will mean more content, and more fun, for everyone.

We'll be making the support announcements soon -- I'm finalizing the schedule for the first 12 months of release this week. But I can say without reservation that this deal means a LOT more support for the game side of FAR WEST than we had previously planned.

• GMSkarka said:

Here's the discussion thread for the big partnership announcement The core book for the RPG will ship this summer (first to Kickstarter backers, then to game stores worldwide).

Would that be First to the backers, then to the people who pre-ordered then to the retailers?

• Shervyn +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )

Never been the kid to flaunt my toys off to the less fortunate kids; I'd rather we all play together and have fun.

Neither have I. It's more about acknowledging the people who took a risk and believed in what you were doing. After cooling off for most of the weekend, I believe I over-reacted because from the announcement I did not realize that EVERYONE was getting the full-color release, instead of everyone getting the black and white one. And maybe a little of my reaction was to the response reason why there wasn't going to be a limited edition left me with the impression that we weren't worth the trouble.

And yes you are right. This is exciting. And good news.

• Darq said:

Would that be First to the backers, then to the people who pre-ordered then to the retailers?

Yes. Pre-orders will be sent out before the book goes to retailers.

• Huzzah! And again, huzzah!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product...and then inflicting it on my tabletop group (one of whom is also a backer, but I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone his secret Dust Road agent name)...and then teaching my Cub to play when she's old enough...
  • Another thought that occurred to me on the morning commute...any chance of a 'text only' version of the rules at some point in the future? Obviously, getting the official book out first is more important, but with all the purty pictures I reckon the full e-copy might be a bit rough on the ol' tablet, spacewise.
  • Another thought that occurred to me on the morning commute...any chance of a 'text only' version of the rules at some point in the future?

We'll be releasing it in text-only EPUB (for iPad, Nook and Kobo readers) and MOBI (for Kindle) formats.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!